Meta Pixel US Sends Formal Quiboloy Extradition Request to PH | Kuryente News

US Sends Formal Quiboloy Extradition Request to PH

The US has formally transmitted its extradition request for KOJC founder Apollo Quiboloy, but two Philippine courts must first resolve his pending local cases.

US Sends Formal Quiboloy Extradition Request to PH
Photo from FBI.gov — Image: Kuryente News

The United States has formally transmitted its request to extradite Kingdom of Jesus Christ (KOJC) founder Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, with Philippine Ambassador to the United States Jose Manuel Romualdez confirming the development on Thursday, August 6 — nearly a year after Washington's interest in taking custody of the self-proclaimed "Appointed Son of God" first became public.

"The formal request was transmitted to the Department of Justice," Romualdez said, as quoted by Philstar.

Two high-ranking Philippine officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, separately told the Associated Press that the request was coursed through the Department of Foreign Affairs to the Department of Justice in July. Both officials said any surrender of Quiboloy to the US would require the approval of the two Philippine courts currently trying him on separate criminal charges.

DOJ Has Not Yet Officially Received the Documents

Despite the ambassador's confirmation, the Department of Justice said Thursday it had not officially received any document showing a formal US extradition request. The DOJ noted that under the Philippine-US Extradition Treaty, the Department of Foreign Affairs is the first point of contact and that initial inquiries should be directed there, according to Philstar.

The US Embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment, The Manila Times reported.

The formal transmission is the procedural trigger for Philippine authorities to begin evaluating Washington's request under the bilateral extradition treaty. Under Philippine law, the DOJ evaluates the sufficiency of the submitted documents and, if found adequate, assigns a government lawyer to file an extradition petition before a trial court.

Federal Indictment and FBI Most Wanted Listing

Quiboloy was indicted by a US federal grand jury in 2021 on charges including conspiracy to engage in sex trafficking by force, fraud, and coercion; sex trafficking of children; substantive sex trafficking; conspiracy; and bulk cash smuggling, according to Philstar.

A federal arrest warrant was issued on November 10, 2021, and Quiboloy was subsequently placed on the FBI's most wanted list. The case is being handled by the bureau's Los Angeles field office.

US prosecutors accuse Quiboloy and other KOJC officials of recruiting women and girls to serve as personal assistants — referred to within the organization as "pastorals" — and coercing them into sex. The FBI's wanted notice also describes an alleged labor trafficking scheme in which church members were brought to the United States on fraudulently obtained visas to solicit donations for what prosecutors describe as a bogus charity.

Quiboloy has denied all the allegations, saying they were fabricated by critics and former members who had been expelled from his group, according to Philstar and the Seymour Tribune.

Local Cases Take Precedence Over Extradition

Quiboloy remains detained in the Philippines while facing child and sexual abuse charges before a Quezon City court. He and several co-accused also face non-bailable qualified human trafficking charges before a Pasig court.

The DOJ stated in 2025 that local jurisdiction generally takes priority, meaning the pending domestic cases may affect the timing of any extradition. However, it is the courts — not the executive branch alone — that ultimately act on the proceedings, according to Philstar.

The two courts handling his Philippine cases therefore hold significant sway over when, or whether, any handover to US authorities can take place.

Surrender After Police Raid on Davao Compound

Quiboloy went into hiding in 2024 after a Philippine court ordered his arrest. He eventually surrendered with four others in September 2024 following a large-scale police operation in which some 2,000 officers raided the KOJC's 30-hectare compound in Davao City, according to the Seymour Tribune.

He was taken into custody on September 8, 2024, and has remained jailed since, Philstar reported.

From Presidential Spiritual Adviser to Defendant

At the height of his influence, the 76-year-old preacher was regarded as a political kingmaker and served as spiritual adviser to former president Rodrigo Duterte, according to the Seymour Tribune. Duterte is himself currently detained at The Hague, where he faces crimes against humanity charges before the International Criminal Court.

Quiboloy founded the KOJC in Davao City in 1985 and claims a substantial following both in the Philippines and abroad, including in the United States, CBS17 reported.

By the Numbers

  • 2021 — Year Quiboloy was indicted by a US federal grand jury
  • November 10, 2021 — Date the federal arrest warrant was issued
  • September 8, 2024 — Date Quiboloy was taken into custody in the Philippines
  • 2,000 — Police officers deployed in the raid on the KOJC's Davao City compound
  • 30 hectares — Size of the KOJC compound raided in Davao City
  • 1985 — Year Quiboloy founded the KOJC in Davao City
  • 76 — Quiboloy's current age

Why This Matters

The formal US extradition request marks a significant escalation in the international legal pressure on Quiboloy, who faces serious federal charges including child sex trafficking and bulk cash smuggling in the United States. However, the existence of two active, non-bailable Philippine court cases means the timeline for any actual handover remains uncertain, as domestic proceedings take legal precedence. The case also highlights the broader accountability landscape surrounding figures who wielded considerable political influence during the Duterte administration, with both Quiboloy and the former president now simultaneously facing prosecution — one at home, one before an international court.

Photo credit: Photo from FBI.gov

Advertisement
Advertisement

Get the week's top stories in your inbox

Free weekly newsletter — no spam, unsubscribe anytime.