Batangas 1st District Representative Leandro Legarda Leviste announced on Friday, May 22, 2026, that he is personally donating one million sacks of rice to families in Batangas who have not yet received government assistance under the Marcos administration's "Bawat Bayan Makikinabang" ayuda program, citing what he described as politically motivated discrimination in the distribution of aid.
Leviste made the announcement during the Kapihan ng Samahang Plaridel forum, where he publicly called out alleged irregularities in how relief goods were being allocated across barangays in his district and in the province of Batangas as a whole.
Leviste Cites 'Discrimination' in Government Aid Rollout
The lawmaker said the one million sacks would be given at no cost to the government, with no political conditions attached. He framed the pledge as a direct response to a pattern of exclusion that, he said, had left thousands of Batangueño families without assistance they were entitled to receive.
"I will give 1 million sacks of rice for all the families who have not yet received government aid in Batangas, because I am saddened by the discrimination in the distribution of government aid," Leviste said in a statement at the forum. "This is my personal contribution, at no cost to government. No need for people to wait for photo-ops, and no one will be excluded."
Leviste's announcement came in the wake of reports that multiple barangays within his congressional district were systematically left out of recent government aid distributions, even after stubs for claiming rice had already been issued to residents.
Barangays Left Out Despite Prior Stub Distribution
According to Leviste, scheduled rice deliveries from the provincial government to several barangays in his district were cancelled — even though distribution stubs had already been handed out to residents beforehand. The abrupt cancellations left many families holding stubs for rice they would not receive.
The affected barangays were among 84 barangays that were also not given ₱200,000 each under the "Bawat Bayan Makikinabang" program when it was launched by President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on April 24, 2026. Reports indicated that the cheques for these barangays had already been prepared as early as April 22, 2026, but were withheld during the April 24 event.
Barangay captains who testified on the matter said they were informed by the provincial government that their barangays were excluded on April 24 due to what was described as "tampururot" — a colloquial term broadly understood to mean political non-alignment or disfavor with those in power at the provincial level.
Marcos Launched 'Bawat Bayan Makikinabang' on April 24
The "Bawat Bayan Makikinabang" program was publicly launched by President Marcos on April 24, 2026, with a stated commitment that rice would be distributed to every barangay across the Philippines. The program was presented as a universal aid initiative intended to benefit all communities regardless of political affiliation.
However, in the days following the launch, reports from Batangas began to surface indicating that the rollout was uneven, with certain barangays receiving aid while others — particularly those whose officials were not seen as political allies of the provincial administration — were passed over.
Leviste, whose political alignment differs from that of the provincial government of Batangas, has publicly positioned himself as an advocate for the excluded communities.
First Rice Deliveries Already Underway in Batangas City
Leviste confirmed that the distribution of his pledged one million sacks has already begun, with the first tranches delivered in the days leading up to his public announcement.
Last Monday, Leviste turned over 20,000 sacks of rice to the parishes of Batangas City, with the distribution done at the recommendation of former Batangas Governor Hermilando "Dodo" Mandanas. The parish-based distribution was designed to ensure that rice reached ordinary residents through community structures independent of the provincial government's political machinery.
On Thursday, May 21, 2026, Leviste turned over an additional 20,000 sacks of rice to barangay health workers, tanods (community watchmen), and other barangay-level functionaries in his district — workers who were not included in the provincial government's most recent round of rice distribution.
The targeting of health workers and tanods was seen as an effort to reach frontline community workers who serve the public at the grassroots level but were reportedly left without assistance despite their roles.
Leviste Urges Local Officials to End Political Exclusion in Aid
Beyond the material pledge, Leviste used his announcement to issue a broader political appeal to local government officials across Batangas, urging them to set aside partisan considerations in the delivery of public assistance.
"I hope my fellow politicians will find it in their conscience to stop discrimination in the distribution of government aid based on politics," Leviste said. "I am calling on local officials to work together to ensure that assistance reaches every family."
The congressman did not name specific officials in his remarks but made clear that the problem, as he described it, was rooted in how local executives were implementing — or withholding — centrally funded programs.
Scale of the Pledge and Ongoing Distribution Timeline
One million sacks of rice represents a substantial volume of relief. At standard 25-kilogram sack weights commonly used in Philippine government distribution programs, one million sacks would amount to approximately 25,000 metric tons of rice — enough to provide significant food relief to hundreds of thousands of households across Batangas.
Leviste has not yet specified a complete timeline for when all one million sacks will be distributed, but the deliveries already made — totaling 40,000 sacks as of May 21, 2026 — indicate that the logistical operation is already in motion. No additional details on the sourcing or storage of the rice were disclosed at the time of the Kapihan ng Samahang Plaridel announcement.
The congressman's office has not issued a formal schedule of upcoming distributions, though Leviste indicated that the process would continue until all families in Batangas who had not yet received government aid were reached.
Allegations Draw Attention to Broader Aid Distribution Concerns Nationwide
The controversy in Batangas has drawn renewed attention to longstanding concerns in the Philippines about the politicization of government aid programs, particularly at the local implementation level. The use of national government resources as leverage in local political contests is a recurring issue that civil society groups and legislators have repeatedly raised in previous administrations.
The specific allegation in this case — that barangay officials aligned with opposition or non-allied politicians were deliberately excluded from a national aid program — mirrors documented patterns from past relief operations in the Philippines, where proximity to the ruling local political faction has sometimes determined access to public goods.
As of May 22, 2026, no formal response has been issued by the Batangas provincial government addressing the specific allegations made by Leviste. The Department of Agriculture and the national government have also not issued a statement on the reported irregularities in the Batangas distribution of the "Bawat Bayan Makikinabang" program.
Photo credit: Photo courtesy of Leandro Leviste/Official Facebook Page
