Advertisement
News

Bounty for fugitive Atong Ang raised to P20 million

"Philippine Gov't Doubles Bounty to P20 Million in Hunt for Gaming Tycoon Linked to Missing Cockfighting Fans."

Combined side-by-side image

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine authorities have doubled the reward for information leading to the arrest of gaming tycoon Charlie “Atong” Ang to ₱20 million (about $355,000), escalating a nationwide manhunt for the businessman linked to the high-profile disappearance of dozens of cockfighting enthusiasts.

Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla announced the bounty increase on Feb. 12, describing the move as a decisive step to locate the 68-year-old fugitive, who faces multiple non-bailable charges including kidnapping and serious illegal detention. The reward had previously been set at ₱10 million in mid-January, shortly after courts first issued warrants for Ang’s arrest.

“This reflects the government’s determination to bring all those responsible before the courts,” Remulla said during a press briefing in Manila. “We urge anyone with credible information to come forward.”

Escalating search for a high-profile suspect

Ang is widely known in the Philippines’ lucrative cockfighting industry and is considered the principal suspect in the disappearance of 34 sabungeros, or cockfighting players, between 2021 and 2022. The cases—alleged coordinated abductions from arenas and related venues—sparked public outrage and scrutiny of law enforcement agencies after several police officers were implicated.

Authorities say Ang now has three standing warrants across courts in the Calabarzon region south of Manila. The most recent was issued Feb. 6 by a regional trial court in San Pablo City, charging Ang and five associates with kidnapping and serious illegal detention. Under Philippine law, the offense carries no bail recommendation.

Earlier warrants issued in January by courts in Sta. Cruz, Laguna, and Lipa City, Batangas, include counts of kidnapping with homicide, further compounding the legal exposure of the fugitive businessman.

While 21 of Ang’s co-accused—including active and former police officers and private individuals—have been arrested or surrendered, authorities say he remains the only principal suspect still at large.

Government vows sustained pursuit

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said the increased bounty will be funded from confidential and intelligence funds of both the department and the Philippine National Police (PNP). Officials framed the reward escalation as a signal that the case remains a national priority.

Remulla warned that anyone found harboring or assisting Ang could face criminal prosecution. “Those protecting him will be treated as accomplices,” he said.

The Philippine National Police–Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) has issued updated wanted bulletins and established 24-hour hotlines to encourage public tips. Investigators have also intensified surveillance operations on properties linked to Ang and his associates.

“We are exhausting all legal and operational means to locate him,” Remulla said. “This includes monitoring known residences and business sites.”

Intelligence points to domestic hideout

Speculation over Ang’s whereabouts has circulated widely in recent months, including reports suggesting he may have fled to neighboring Southeast Asian countries known for hosting gaming operations.

However, Cambodian authorities recently informed Manila they have no immigration record indicating Ang entered Cambodia. Philippine Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla—speaking separately from the interior chief—said current intelligence assessments indicate Ang is likely still within Philippine territory.

Authorities have deployed specialized equipment, including aerial drones, to survey large private properties in Metro Manila and nearby provinces such as Cavite and Batangas, officials said.

Search operations have reportedly covered sites in Mandaluyong City, Lipa City, and Dasmariñas, Cavite—areas linked to Ang’s business interests and associates.

Disappearances that shook the cockfighting industry

The disappearance of the 34 sabungeros remains one of the most disturbing criminal episodes tied to the Philippines’ cockfighting sector, a multibillion-peso industry that blends traditional sport with online betting platforms.

Families of the missing men have alleged the victims were abducted in connection with cheating disputes and betting conflicts inside arenas and livestreamed cockfighting operations. Several whistleblowers and suspects have claimed the victims were killed and their bodies disposed of, though authorities say many allegations remain under investigation.

The scandal deepened in 2023 when multiple police officers were charged or dismissed in connection with the abductions, raising questions about corruption and collusion within law enforcement ranks.

The PNP has since pledged institutional reforms and cooperation with prosecutors to rebuild public trust.

Legal stakes and broader implications

Legal analysts say the Ang case carries significant implications for the credibility of Philippine law enforcement and the regulation of the gaming sector.

“The successful arrest and prosecution of the alleged mastermind is essential to restoring confidence,” said a Manila-based criminal law professor who requested anonymity due to the sensitivity of ongoing proceedings. “This case intersects organized crime, gambling revenues, and alleged police involvement.”

The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) and other regulators have already tightened oversight of certain cockfighting and betting activities since the disappearances, though traditional and online variants remain popular nationwide.

Families await answers

For relatives of the missing sabungeros, the doubling of the reward has renewed cautious hope that the long-running investigation may finally reach its central figure.

“We have waited years for justice,” said a family representative during a recent gathering in Manila. “We hope this means authorities are closer to finding him and revealing what truly happened to our loved ones.”

Human rights advocates have likewise urged authorities to ensure due process and full accountability for all involved parties, including officials who may have enabled the alleged crimes.

Continuing manhunt

As of Feb. 12, Philippine authorities said intelligence operations and tip-verification teams remain active nationwide. Officials declined to disclose specific leads but said information is being evaluated in coordination with prosecutors and regional police units.

Remulla reiterated that the government will continue pursuing Ang regardless of how long it takes.

“This will not be abandoned,” he said. “The victims deserve justice, and the public deserves the truth.”